Cornville is a town in Somerset County, incorporated on February 24, 1798 from the unorganized township of T2 R1, N.P.C., E.K.R. After acquiring the Mile and a half Strip in 1807, it conceded land in several transactions in the 1830’s to Milburn to reach its current boundaries.
Originally called Bernadstown No. 3 after Moses Bernard who purchased it from Massachusetts, it gained its permanent name from the richness and productivity of its soil, especially for Indian corn. Early white settlers arrived in the mid-1790’s, attracted by the ability to purchase large tracts of land in the Maine wilderness.
By the dawn of the nineteenth century, several mills and a tannery were established on the Wesserunset River.
Just north of Skowhegan on Maine Route 150, Cornville is a growing community in a rural setting.