Madison is a town in Somerset County, incorporated March 7, 1804. In 1846 it ceded land to Norridgewock.
Father Sebastian Rasle arrived in 1695 in the Old Point area, living with and ministering to the Indians there until he was killed by the British in 1724. He built the first church in the town.
Named for President James Madison, it was surveyed in 1791 and permanent white settlers arrived at least be 1775.
The Lakewood Summer Theater, opened in 1901 in East Madison, on the west side of Lake Wesserunsett. On the east side in the village of East Madison, a dam hints at its history as a mill site.