Solon is a town in Somerset County, incorporated on February 23, 1809 from the township T1 R2 EKR.
Settled in 1782 by William Hilton of Wiscasset, it was named for one of the great sages of Ancient Greece, in keeping with its neighboring town of Athens.
A substantial number of Indian artifacts, including pottery, knife blades, projectile points, and fire pits, have been discovered at an apparent camp site near the Kennebec River.
Just below Caratunk Falls at Arnold’s Landing, Benedict Arnold and his army camped on October 7, 1775 before carrying their boats around the falls.
Solon is located at the junction of U.S. Route 201, 201A, and Maine Route 8. The Solon Hotel is a landmark at the village center.
The South Solon Meeting House is a period piece well preserved, with colorful murals depicting religious themes on the walls.